Click here to download the transcript of Jonathan's top tips for money and happiness!
Living a wealthy life is about much more than money.
Surprisingly, many key principles including risk management, simplicity, and delayed gratification apply equally to personal success as they do to financial success.
In this 7th episode of the Financial Mentor podcast Jonathan Clements reveals universal truths about money and happiness developed over his 17 years as a featured columnist for the Wall Street Journal (and more recently with Citi Personal Wealth Management for 5 years).
He combed his decades long collection of writings and distilled them down to just the essential core “notions” that every wealth builder must understand. Now we can benefit from this in-depth knowledge about true wealth, money and happiness in this exclusive interview with one of the true veterans of Wall Street personal finance journalism.
In this episode you will discover:
- How to reach lofty financial goals with limited dollars.
- The “things” you want more than money (the answer may surprise you!)
- How to choose the right financial product to match your personal goals.
- When (if ever) it is appropriate to buy life insurance against your child.
- How to avoid the unexpectedly high cost of emotions in financial decisions.
- How your biological heritage hard-wires you to fail financially… and what you must do to fix it.
- The single most important habit for personal and financial success (it's not what you think!)
- How you can balance delayed gratification for tomorrow while living in the moment today without conflict or stress.
- The surprising key to a successful and fulfilling retirement.
- The “hedonic treadmill” and how to avoid post-goal-achievement let down.
- How to get more joy out of your possessions without spending an extra dime (Hint! It's all in your mind.)
- The smart way vs. the illusory way to pursue financial freedom. Which path are you following?
- The simple strategy to recapture the joy of your youth in your retirement years.
- How your fear of loss can blind you to investment profits – and what you must do to fix it.
- Why “human capital” is one of the least understood but most intriguing concepts in personal finance.
- The right time to take risks, and when it is a fool's errand.
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Session Include:
- Jonathan's writings at Citi's website.
- Jonathan's new book at Amazon The Little Book of Main Street Money: 21 Simple Truths that Help Real People Make Real Money (Little Books. Big Profits).
- My 7 Steps To 7 Figures Wealth Building Course.
Help Out The Show:
Finally, if you haven't done so already it would be so helpful if you took a minute to leave a quick review of this podcast on ITunes by clicking on the link below. It is a great way to help the show as I try to achieve enough 5-star ratings to reach “New & Noteworthy” in the high profile “All” podcasts category.
Because of your support we are already ranking high in the “Business” and “Investing” categories so it shouldn't take too many more readers to make the goal a reality. Here's how you can support the effort…
Alternatively, you can click on the link below and it should also launch ITunes on your computer…
Thanks for your support and I hope you enjoyed this episode. Please let me know what you think in the comments below…
Retiring Soon? Pick Up a Copy of My Book.
The conventional approach used by experts to figure how much money you need to retire is fundamentally flawed. Worse yet, you won’t even know it until it’s too late.
This book takes you behind the scientific façade of modern retirement planning to reveal simple, robust solutions that will help you retire sooner and with greater financial security.