Click here to download the transcript of Wade’s best retirement income strategies!
It baffles the brightest financial minds…
How do you convert a volatile portfolio into a stable, automatic income stream?
After all, your investment portfolio goes up and down like a roller coaster, but your retirement spending requires a reliable income that you will never outlive.
How can you make these two contradictory situations work together?
Traditional financial planning provides an oversimplified answer in the 4% Rule, but the latest research into safe withdrawal rates has revealed surprisingly different conclusions. In fact, there are new solutions that will give you more income when you need it most with less risk of running out of money before you run out of life.
Related: 5 Rookie Financial Planning Mistakes That Cost You Big-Time (and what to do instead!) Explained in 5 Free Video Lessons
In short, there is a clear benefit to advancing your knowledge beyond the old rules-of-thumb.
In this 9th episode of the Financial Mentor podcast, Wade Pfau, Professor of Retirement Income at the American College, brings you up to date on the latest research in retirement income planning. He goes beyond the 4% Rule by revealing a variety of alternative ways to spend your portfolio without putting your financial security at risk.
Even if you are nowhere near retirement you should still listen carefully because this information can have a dramatic impact on how you plan for retirement.
In this episode you will discover:
- The critical differences between the asset accumulation phase of retirement planning and the post-retirement spending phase.
- What the “4% Rule” is, and why it may not be safe.
- The real-world difference between a static and dynamic withdrawal strategy and what it means to your financial security.
- The inherent limitations you must overcome to extract an automatic income stream from a volatile portfolio.
- What the required minimum distribution is, how it works, and why you should care.
- The surprising reason why increased spending in retirement means you were too conservative.
- The best rule-of-thumb model that maximizes both income and safety.
- The advantages of a “spending ceiling” rule and the dangers of a “spending floor” rule.
- The 2 reasons why your success or failure in retirement depends as much on when you retire as how much you retire with.
- The 2 key factors that will determine 80% of your safe withdrawal rate during retirement.
- The one situation where running out of money during retirement is NOT catastrophic.
- How to separate a good annuity from a bad annuity – before it costs you money.
- The single biggest advantage that a SPIA (Single Premium Immediate Annuity) brings to your portfolio.
- Discover the simple business reason why a SPIA can pay you more income than competing investments.
- Uncover how the “income flooring” strategy can reduce risk and increase spendable income.
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Session Include:
- Wade’s website is at RetirementResearcher.com.
- The first Financial Mentor podcast episode #1 with Wade Pfau is here.
- My 7 Steps To 7 Figures Wealth Building Course
- Wade’s research article comparing SPIA’s to self-annuitizing a volatile portfolio.
- My book on Amazon How Much Money Do I Need To Retire?
- Anthony Webb’s research paper using IRS required minimum withdrawals as a safe withdrawal rate.
- Jonathan Guyton’s research using “guardrails” to govern safe withdrawal rates.
- My book on Safe Withdrawal Rates in Retirement.
Help Out The Show:
Finally, if you haven’t done so already, it would be so helpful if you took a minute to leave a quick review of this podcast on ITunes by clicking on the link below. It is a great way to help the show reach a wider audience.
These reviews make a huge difference by raising the visibility of the show to get in front of more people.
Alternatively, you can click on the link below and it should also launch ITunes on your computer…
Thanks for your support and I hope you enjoyed this episode. Please let me know what you think in the comments below…
Retiring Soon? Pick Up a Copy of My Book.
The conventional approach used by experts to figure how much money you need to retire is fundamentally flawed. Worse yet, you won’t even know it until it’s too late.
This book takes you behind the scientific façade of modern retirement planning to reveal simple, robust solutions that will help you retire sooner and with greater financial security.